A VITAL NATIONAL AND COMMUNITY MISSION
With its main gate bordering St. Robert, and the west gate bordering Waynesville, Ft. Leonard Wood has become both an integral part of Pulaski County and an active supporter of the surrounding communities. Since its construction in late 1940, the post has become renowned for state-of-the-art training and support of national defense and has served as the launching point for millions of military careers. Fort Leonard Wood has rapidly grown as a training center, as a community, and as a partner with Pulaski County.
The post is home to the Engineer, Chemical, and Military Police Corps training school as well as personnel from all branches of the U.S. Military. In fact, the largest Marine detachment not stationed at a Marine base, is stationed at Fort Leonard Wood. The post is also home to the U.S. Army Maneuver Support Center (MANSCEN), which develops concepts, doctrine, force structure and material requirements to ensure the vitality of the Engineer, Chemical and Military Police schools. Construction for the post began in December 1940 and, by the following May, the complex already had 1,600 temporary buildings. Its original mission as a basic training center began in World War II when five infantry divisions prepared for battle here. Additionally, over 5,000 POWs were detained here to work in agriculture and construction. Since World War II, Fort Leonard Wood has had units and personnel activated for every major U.S. military action.
PRESERVING AND CELEBRATING OUR MILITARY HERITAGE
Fort Leonard Wood leads the way to the future while preserving the proud history of the U.S. military. Fort Leonard Wood is home to museums, memorials and historic attractions that stir patriotism in all of us.
Perhaps the most prominent is the John B. Mahaffey Museum Complex. Attracting over 125,000 visitors each year, the complex houses museums dedicated to preserving the history of Fort Leonard Wood, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the Military Police Corps, and the Chemical Corps. The museums combine vivid, life-size exhibits and authentic relics, including old weaponry, documents, vehicles, and tools from all American military conflicts.
The Fort Leonard Wood Museum captivates visitors at its outdoor World War II Compound. The compound is a grouping of original barracks built from December 1940 through May 1941. Designed to be temporary structures, the buildings were built at a rate of one every 45 minutes. The museum also shows descriptions of life on the post dating back to the early 1940s. Additionally, the museum pays tribute the career of the post’s namesake, General Leonard Wood, whose career highlights include being the first commander of the Rough Riders (yep, he’s Theodore Roosevelt’s predecessor) and his appointment as the Army Chief of Staff.
Some of Fort Leonard Wood’s most popular sites are highlighted in Pulaski County USA’s Self Guided Driving Tour Brochure. Several buildings along the tour date back to the origins of Fort Leonard Wood and contain interesting bits of history. The Black Officer’s Club was built in 1941 and houses a restored mural that was painted by SSG Samuel Countee in 1945. Another structural highlight is the Rolling Heath Schoolhouse which dates back to 1912.
The Piney Valley Golf Course promises a challenging game of golf against the beautiful Piney Valley landscape.
To learn more about lodging & accommodations, and things to do near Ft. Leonard Wood visit www.PulaskiCountyUSA.com or call 877-858-8687 to request your complimentary Visitors Guide.