Before the Civil War the railroad through Pulaski County, Missouri was planned to be through the southern portion of the county, the “low road”, south of Colby and north of Iron Ore. Those settlements do not appear on modern maps of Pulaski County.
After the war, it was rerouted through the northern part because of terrain. It has been said that the northern route followed roads that were blazed by the Union & Confederate Armies. As the tracks made their way west new towns sprang up, “boom towns” that provided services to the railroad and became vital shipping points. In 1869 the railroad breathed life into Franks Switch, Dixon, Crocker, Hancock, Wood End (later Swedeborg), and Richland. The railroad changed the landscape of the area, as it brought towns to life, others fell out of favor, being just a little too far “off of the beaten track”. Such was the case with Humboldt. Humboldt was not directly on the new line and it gave way to the settlement of Crocker, which was named after Uriel Crocker. Crocker was the Director of Atlantic and Pacific Railroad Company from 1868 until 1874.
This picture shows railroad workers on the tracks near Dixon, MO. Today’s visitor and tourists can follow the history of what later become known as the Frisco Railroad as it winds its way across the “high road” of Pulaski County. To receive your complimentary Historic Auto Tour of the Frisco Railroad call 573.336.6355 today. This brochure also includes self-guided driving tours of historic Route 66 and Fort Leonard Wood.
UPDATED 18 September 2019