Today’s #ThrowbackThursday post reaches back to 1984. This ad for Chimney Pawn & Gun Shop was printed in the Old Settlers Gazette. Chimney Pawn & Gun was located on the Fort Wood Spur (now Missouri Boulevard). Operated by the Livingston family, the shop was named for the chimney that was near the store. The old chimney was all that remained of the African American NCO Club. Sadly, Chimney Pawn & Gun has closed, and the chimney has been dismantled. However, you can see items similar to what they offered this weekend at the Kickapoo Trace Muzzleloaders Trade Fair in Saint Robert. #PulaskiCountyUSA
Pulaski County, Missouri has a long and proud tradition of patriotism. In remarkable spirit, citizens laid their cash on the barrel head in return for Uncle Sam’s war bonds during several War Loan Drives to support the war efforts of World War II. War Loan Drives were held nationwide and Pulaski County stepped up to the plate. The third War Loan Drive was held from early September through early October in 1943 with a national goal of $15 billion and the county quota was $336,000. With Dru Pippin as the chairman from the county, Pulaski County delivered $341,787, almost $6,000 over goal. Adjusted for inflation the money raised by Pulaski County in 1943 would equal $4,604,621.64 today. $75,000 of the monies raised bought a P-51 Mustang which was named “The Spirit of Pulaski County” by local bond buyers. After purchasing a Series E War Bond the buyer was able to submit a naming suggestion.
Pulaski County, always patriotic and dutiful, had seen many of her citizens march off to war, but part of the rallying cry for the War Loan Drives was the memory of Wayne Lynn “Buck” Bandy. A graduate of Waynesville High School, Buck played trumpet for Navy Band Number 22, and was one of the many sailors lost on board the U.S.S. Arizona December 7, 1941.
Dru Pippin said of the successful War Loan Drives:
“This magnificent response to put idle dollars to work for victory is our message to our fighting men wherever they might be, that Pulaski County has gone to War too.”
Many businesses were advertisement sponsors for the War Loan Drives including Long’s Drug Store Sundries, United Army Store, Rigsby Service Station, Baker Hotel, Dr. C.A. Talbot, Owl Cafe, Clark’s Cafe, Chicago Military Store, Prewett Liquor Store, Bell Hotel, Bursons Cafe, Ford Cafe, Copeland Military Store, Sinclair Service Station, Blue Line Bus Service, Tut’s Cafe, Fort Wood Hotel, Ft. Wood Military Supply, 5% Beer Parlor, Safety Service Station and Bell Garage.
Today, over 70 years later, Pulaski County still fervently supports those who put their life on the line to fight for our freedoms. Pulaski County was the first Purple Heart County in the State of Missouri, and several of our cities have received the Purple Heart City designation as well.
Special Thank You to Steven M. Beattie and Pulaski County Museum & Historical Society for their contributions and images.
To plan your trip to Pulaski County, Missouri, home of Fort Leonard Wood, visit http://www.PulaskiCountyUSA, like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/PulaskiCountyUSA, or order your FREE Official Visitors Guide at firstname.lastname@example.org or 877-858-8687.
The battle lines had been drawn, and Americans picked up their weapons. The Civil War was about to change the face of the nation as they knew it. Most of us are familiar with the battle that raged on the East coast, but what about the Midwest? Few realize the impact the Civil War had on both historic, and present-day Pulaski County.
While alliances were mostly clear in the East, loyalties were much hazier in Pulaski County. Missouri was Confederate territory and, indeed, Waynesville initially flew the Confederate flag. The rugged terrain and relative isolation of the Missouri frontier shielded locals from strong opinions for or against slavery, however, and secession from the Union held little immediate consequence. As debate raged in the young country, the prevalent support in Pulaski County remained with the South; the presidential election of 1860 yielded only seven votes for Abraham Lincoln to John Breckenridge’s 281. As war became imminent, however, opinions began to shift, and this trend continued throughout the war. In Pulaski County, neighbors, families and friends found themselves on opposite sides of the battlefield.
It soon became clear that the key supply road from St. Louis to Springfield would be critical to either side’s success, placing Pulaski County as a main thoroughfare. What is now Route 66 was, at the time, a path for transporting troops and supplies for each army; the Union Army eventually strung a telegraph wire along the route, resulting in its nickname of “The Wire Road”.
Many Pulaski County farmers joined either the Union Army or Confederate militias or guerrilla groups , and by 1862, Waynesville had become the center of the war in Pulaski County. While a few women remained to support local fighters, most fled with their children to safer territory. Union soldiers took over the town and erected a large fort on Fort Street, overlooking the downtown square. A marker at the site is now all that remains of the fort. The Pulaski County Courthouse was so badly damaged by rifle fire that it had to be torn down in 1870. The stagecoach stop, which still stands as The Old Stagecoach Stop museum in downtown Waynesville, was converted to a hospital for wounded soldiers.
As Union forces patrolled the streets, the wilderness was alive with Confederate militias that ambushed supply wagons. Pulaski County’s rugged terrain and numerous caves changed the face of battle from traditional fighting methods to brief clashes between armies. The area was host to bloody skirmishes and raids.
By the time Union troops left Waynesville in 1865, Pulaski County was deserted. Some estimates maintain that up to 75 percent of the population had left. Homes and farms were vacant. Buildings were looted and destroyed; livestock was gone, and farms were overgrown. Many citizens never returned; for a time the Ozark region remained dangerous territory.
Fortunately, word of land ownership opportunity traveled east. Southerners who had lost their homes in the war seized the opportunity and headed west to establish new roots. The Southern Pacific Railroad opened rail lines to Springfield, giving rise to numerous small towns along the tracks, opening new economic possibility and establishing much of modern-day Pulaski County.
History has not been forgotten. Pulaski County still holds many remnants of the Civil War, allowing glimpses into our rich past. Two markers indicate areas of interest from the battles. The Old Courthouse Museum holds many relics from county history; the Old Stagecoach Stop features a Civil War medical display as well as artifacts from local history. The original structure still stands as a testament to the ties that bind modern-day Pulaski County with memories of the past.
The text of this posting is a reprint of an article that appeared in “Visitor Guide Pulaski County Missouri” published by CommunityLink circa 2008.
Ranch Motel has been a landmark on Route 66 in Saint Robert, Pulaski County, Missouri since the 1940’s. Although not original to it’s construction, the facility was “rocked” later on.
More than a map, our Route 66 Historic Auto Tours brochure has turn by turn directions with mileage (in the style of Jack Rittenhouse’s 1946 “A Guide Book To Highway 66”) historical photos and facts, including information about Pulaski County’s “best 1943 curbed pavement in the state” in the Grandview area. To receive your FREE brochure contact Pulaski County Tourism Bureau at 877-858-8687 or email@example.com.
During the days of Route 66, Central Motel & Station was located in Pulaski County, between Buckhorn and Hazelgreen. It was a popular stop for travelers who were “motoring west” on the “Main Street of America”. Before Route 66 was established, the site of Central Motel & Station was well known to locals as “Dadtown”.
Pulaski County Museum & Historical Society has kindly shared their published article about the Dadtown Store that was submitted by Kirk Pearce for inclusion in History Pulaski County Missouri Vol II in 1987:
Once upon a time in the Ozarks there was a place called “Dadtown,” which was a lively little place. It was located near Hazelgreen.
In the early 1900’s Dad and Betsy Lewis built a store building and put in a general line of groceries. Since Hazelgreen was the major trading center for that day in time, he only stocked items people used often. Folks from the Bellfonte Community would come there to do their small trading.
This little store become known as “Dadtown” in honor of Dad Lewis.
Lewis also built a small grist mill. The mill drew customers from both Pulaski and Laclede counties to have their corn ground. Ruby (King) Doty of Lebanon remembers going to have their corn ground with her parents many times. She tells about sitting up late at night shelling corn so it would be ready to take to mill the next morning. White corn was preferred by most of the natives around here.
The Dadtown store consisted of one large room with a big pot bellied stove in the middle.
The big jars of mouthwatering candy in the store was a delight to any child who came into the store. There was licorice, peppermint, chocolate and white “candy cigars” among other candies.
There was a big coffee mill to grind coffee. Sugar was measured out in paper bags, as well as dried beans.
Besides groceries, Dad Lewis also sold bran and seeds. A peddler would also come around selling brooms quiet often.
The store was a favorite place for visiting. Dad Lewis was a type of person who enjoyed being with people. His byword was “byjacks,” and he used it a lot!
The first silent movies in that community were shown at Dadtown. Marion Lewis, son of Dad, set up a large tent and had a “Wild West” Show. Folks came from miles around. Those were the first silent movies most of these had seen. There were some who thought they were “for real” and got quite shaken up!
There was also a canning factory at Dadtown for a short time. In 1925 Jess Grisel put a canning factory on Jess Watson’s farm near a large spring of water. George Dougan built the factory, which was no more than a shed.
About 10 or 12 were employed there. Some of these were Ollie Carroll, Sis Watson, Hazel and Flo Patterson, Lee Bowling, Alvie Powers, Noble Dougan, Marion Howell, Velma McDaniel, Elsie Howell Dougan and Syble Arnold.
The tomatoes were put in wire baskets and dipped in hot water to loosen the peelings. Then in cold water and poured in a long trough. The ladies peeled and packed them into cans.
George Dougan did most of the scalding: Marion Howell cooked the tomatoes in a large vat, and Noble Dougan ran the capper machine.
Almost every farm in that community raised fields of tomatoes that year.
The cans of tomatoes were taken to Richland where they were labeled and shipped by train to wholesale houses.
Lit Patterson was the last owner of the Dadtown Store and operated the store for several years. He built up a good cream business and bought cream from farmers a long time.
Dadtown Store has been gone many years, but the impact it had on those who were raised there, and the friendship of neighbors, will never be forgotten.
Although Dadtown Store has been gone for many years, the site where it, and later Central Motel & Station, were is still sought out by Route 66 enthusiasts. For free turn by turn directions of Pulaski County, Missouri’s original Route 66 pavement, including locations such as the site of Dadtown and Central Motel & Station, contact Pulaski County Tourism Bureau at 877-858-8567 or visit us at http://www.PulaskiCountyUSA.com.
Today’s #ThrowbackThursday post pays homage to #PulaskiCountyUSA’s railroad history. Before the Civil War the railroad through Pulaski County, Missouri was planned to be through the southern portion of the county, the “low road”, south of Colby and north of Iron Ore. Those settlements do not appear on modern maps of Pulaski County.
After the war, it was rerouted through the northern part because of terrain. It has been said that the northern route followed roads that were blazed by the Union & Confederate Armies. As the tracks made their way west new towns sprang up, “boom towns” that provided services to the railroad and became vital shipping points. In 1869 the railroad breathed life into Franks Switch, Dixon, Crocker, Hancock, Wood End (later Swedeborg), and Richland. The railroad changed the landscape of the area, as it brought towns to life, others fell out of favor, being just a little too far “off of the beaten track”. Such was the case with Humboldt. Humboldt was not directly on the new line and it gave way to the settlement of Crocker, which was named after Eurilis J. Crocker, a stockholder in the railroad.
This picture shows railroad workers on the tracks near Dixon, MO. Today’s visitor and tourists can follow the history of what later become known as the Frisco Railroad as it winds its way across the “high road” of Pulaski County. To receive your complimentary Historic Auto Tour of the Frisco Railroad call 573.336.6355 today. This brochure also includes auto tours of historic Route 66 and Fort Leonard Wood.
This week’s #ThrowbackThursday post is a salute to #FortLeonardWood and to United States Veterans everywhere! Help #PatrioticPulaski honor the defenders of our freedom with our #VeteranThanks project. Details can be found at goo.gl/0XpNXJ.
Millions of United States Army careers have began at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri, many of them in barracks like those pictured on this vintage historical postcard. Fort Leonard Wood, in #PulaskiCountyUSA, was created December 1940, and except for a brief time before the Korean War has been training soldiers ever since. Today, Fort Leonard Wood trains service members from all branches of service- Army, Marine Corp, Navy, Air Force and even Coast Guard.