Brewer & Shipley: Welcome To Riddle Bridge

Brewer & Shipley: Welcome To Riddle Bridge

Brewer & Shipley, consisting of Mike Brewer and Tom Shipley, was a very popular folk music duo during the late 1960’s and early 1970’s. They are most remembered for the single “One Toke Over The Line” which was released in 1970 on their third album, “Tarkio”. Six years later, in 1976, the pair released their seventh album, titled “Welcome To Riddle Bridge” under the Capitol Records label.

The album title pays homage to Riddle Bridge in Pulaski County USA and the cover art shows Brewer & Shipley standing on the 12 panel Pennsylvania through truss bridge that was built in 1911 by Canton Bridge Company. The bridge featured on that cover was replaced circa 1987 and now serves as a footbridge in Nebraska as a part of the Arbor Day Foundation headquarters.

welcome to riddle bridge 2

Today, Mike Brewer resides outside of Branson, Missouri and Tom Shipley lives and teaches in Rolla, Missouri in Phelps County, which neighbors Pulaski County.

Locals, visitors, and tourists still gather at the Riddle Bridge site (located at the end of Y Highway) to enjoy the scenic and dramatic bluffs and the natural beauty of the Gasconade River.

To learn more about Riddle Bridge in Pulaski County USA, please visit the following links:

1985 article in the Old Settlers Gazette:

1987 article in the Old Settlers Gazette:

To learn more about Brewer & Shipley please visit:

To learn more about the Arbor Day Foundation please visit:

To learn more about Pulaski County, Missouri, home of Fort Leonard Wood, please visit:


The Normandy: Historic Route 66


The Normandy: Historic Route 66

The Normandy, near Buckhorn, was a favorite eating place for locals, as well as Route 66 travelers. The restaurant, hotel, and gas station complex was razed circa 1978. A quarry is on the site now. The pillars that marked the entrance to The Normandy are still visible on the south side of the road close to the turnoff for the Pulaski County – Fort Leonard Wood Shrine Club.

Photo and background information courtesy of Terry & Jan Primas of Old Stagecoach Stop Foundation.

To obtain turn by turn directions of historic Route 66 visit:


Sterling’s Hillbilly Store: Historic Route 66


Sterling's Hillbilly Store: Historic Route 66

Sterling’s Hillbilly Store was a landmark for generations of families and travelers on The Mother Road near Hooker, Missouri in Pulaski County USA. The business adapted to the changes of Route 66 and was located in four different venues throughout the years. Today, the famous “Hillbilly” sign still greets drivers as they travel the Main Street of America at the Mule Trading Post in Phelps County. Members of the Wells family continue the family tradition of basket weaving and one of their baskets can be seen on display in an exhibit at the John B. Mahaffey Museum on Fort Leonard Wood.

To learn more about Hooker, Missouri on Route 66 in Pulaski County please view the Old Settlers Gazette 2011 edition which can be found here:

To learn more about the life of entrepreneur Sterling Wells please read the Old Settlers Gazette 2008 article which can be found here:

To obtain turn by turn directions of historic Route 66 visit:

To learn more about the John B. Mahaffey Museum Complex on Fort Leonard Wood please visit:

H.E. Warren Store: Richland, Missouri


H.E. Warren Store: Richland, Missouri

The Family Business for 144 Years: H.E. Warren Store in #PulaskiCountyUSA is destination in itself. Continually operating since 1869 the family business has served generations of Pulaskians and travelers. To learn more about the history of this store please read the 2011 article in the Old Settler’s Gazette which can be found here:

Image kindly shared by Old Stagecoach Stop

Waynesville’s Roubidoux Bridge: Historic Route 66


Waynesville's Roubidoux Bridge: Historic Route 66

The Roubidoux Bridge, a five span concrete arch bridge, in Waynesville on historic Route 66 spans Roubidoux River and was constructed in 1923 to coincide with the, at the time, new Highway 66 that connected Chicago to Los Angeles. It was widened in 1939, before Fort Leonard Wood was conceptualized. Today’s visitors to Pulaski County USA can still travel across this original Route 66 bridge.

To learn more about bridges in Pulaski County, Missouri visit:

To learn more about the history of Pulaski County, Missouri’s bridges visit:

To obtain turn by turn directions of historic Route 66 visit:

Gascozark Service Station & Café: Historic Route 66


Gascozark Service Station & Café: Historic Route 66

Gascozark Service Station & Café was constructed in the early 1930’s by Frank Allison Jones, the founder and proprietor of Gascozark Hills Resort. The service station and café is abandoned today, and is often photographed by Route 66 travelers. The resort that Mr. Jones built is still in operation as Gasconade Hills Resort and is a popular destination for float and camping trips, as well as Mother Road enthusiasts. To learn more about the life of Frank A. Jones please read the 2007 Old Settlers Gazette article about his life which can be found here:

To get your turn by turn directions of Route 66 call 877-858-8687 or visit

For more information, or to book your stay or float at Gasconade Hills Resort visit

Bell Hotel: Historic Route 66


Bell Hotel: Historic Route 66

#PulaskiCountyUSA has been a travel destination for families for generations. This vintage postcard depicts Bell Hotel, on the banks of the Roubidoux River, in Waynesville. The hotel was constructed around a one room cabin and parts of that structure are still visible inside the building today. The hotel began meeting the needs of auto tourists from the very beginning of Route 66. presently, the building is operated as Waynesville Memorial Chapel.